Thursday, February 17, 2011

23 - ChoroQ

Genre: Racing, RPG
Rating: E
Developer: Barnhouse Effect
Publisher: Atlus
Platform: PS2
Release date: 2004

I've been meaning to try this game out since I picked it up. It always surprises me what an eclectic amount of games that Atlus has published over the years. They used to be one hell of a ballsy group, I'd say, although they seem to be playing it much safer now with their guaranteed userbase.

Anyways, onto the game at hand. It's a longer series based off of toy cars in Japan. I don't think there have been nearly as many releases for it in the US, but there have been at least a couple. Strangely, I've heard that Road Trip is a supremely better game in the series (which I also own). It seems weird that two games in the same series of cute racing and travelling cars could be polar opposites, but apparently this is the case because ChoroQ is bad.

It's not horrible, but it's not good either. The racing isn't exciting and in fact reminds me of Lego Racers. That is to say, it's no Mario Kart or any respectable racing game. One might say the racing isn't even the bulk of the game. You can wander about towns and talk to the other cars. You can customize your car all up and do various other activities. However, there's nothing pointing to what should actually be going on so I spent a long time wandering around town, lost.

It seems like it could be an okay game but it's strangely confusing. What am I supposed to be doing? Why is there a bank for cars? Why do I drive into houses only to have the car residents there greet me and then shoo me away? It's quirky but there's nothing much in terms of solid gameplay to back it up with. The intro video got my blood pumping, so it wasn't a complete waste.

Would I play again? No.

1 comment:

Bryan Ochalla said...

I've always been a bit curious about this series of games, as I like the idea of playing a sort of "chibi" racing game. My limited experience with various Choro Q games, though, suggests they all suck. Too bad :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...