Sunday, February 20, 2011

24 - Gears of War 2

Genre: Sci-fi, shooter
Rating: M
Developer: Epic Games
Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios
Platform: 360
Release date: 2008

FPS games aren't really my thing. Anything with guns typically isn't my thing unless there are guns and zombies/monsters/whatever strange creatures. Aliens however don't really fit into this picture so Gears of War has never struck me as a wholly interesting series. I played GoW but this was my first time checking out the sequel.

It's basically more of the same. A lot more of the same. The graphics don't appear improved any although the characterization perhaps seems a bit more human. There might also be even a bit more constant action than there was in the first, but maybe not. It could just be the fact that I'm not usually playing action-heavy games that this seems really wild.

I had no problem playing the game. Something I find odd is that GoW and similar titles are not very hard on their normal difficulties at all. While I died within half an hour on almost all the games I've played for my blog so far I managed to keep on trucking for a really long time in this one. It was only when I got a little too confident in my abilities that I was mowed down. These games seem designed for younger players, it seems.

Overall the game wasn't anything exciting and new but it's done well enough that I didn't find myself getting bored after an hour of shooting same-y enemies. Perhaps some of that could be contributed to my custom soundtrack that was playing through the battles. Normally I don't use that feature on the 360 but I don't really need to hear heavy, orchestral or whatever music as I shoot aliens. I was just fine with a collection of dance music.

Would I play again? Sure.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...