Tuesday, February 15, 2011

14 - BloodRayne

Genre: Action
Rating: M
Developer: Terminal Reality
Publisher: Majesco Games
System: PS2 (Also: GC, PC, Xbox)
Release date: 2002

Let me give a little back story for my history with this game. In high school, one of my good friends was freaking obsessed with BloodRayne (both the game and the character). She thought she was the hottest vampire gal ever. I didn't know what to think because it was rare for someone to mention a game I'd never played. In fact, that was around the time I had an issue with the massive sexualized of women in games that I was finally becoming aware of. I figured if the game was any good they wouldn't have to pander so hard to the prospective audience with a busty character with tight clothes.

Apparently I was wrong because it's actually a really damn good game. The story is a little rocky but the production values are very obviously there. There don't seem to be many vampire games out there to begin with, but they made it work out just fine.

I like the character and how she handles. It also seems a pretty forgiving game on the easy difficulty. Of course, that didn't stop me from dying, but my character was allowed to be shot full of holes before finally drowning in a lake. Apparently vampires and water don't mix.

I could live without the horribly exaggerated breast jiggle in cutscenes but aside from that it's a surprisingly solid title. In fact, it now seems odd that there were only two titles available for it. It really seems like this game is about due for a new version or even a "reimaginging" since that seems to be in vogue.

Would I play again? Yes!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...