Sunday, February 20, 2011

26 - Chessmaster

Genre: Board
Rating: E
Developer: Ubisoft Romania
Publisher: Ubisoft
Platform: PS2 (Also: GBA)
Release date: 2003

Chess is pretty awesome. I'm not all too good at it, and maybe because of this I've never cared to seek out a chess video game to play. Well, unless you count that action chess game on N64. What's the name of that game?

So yeah, I don't really trust my skill at the board game but that's no reason to not try. The first thing that struck me about this game was just how many options and various modes there were. It was a fully packed disc. Among the various gameplay modes (including an online mode) there was even a section where you could view famous chess matches. If I were more into chess I'm sure that would have really excited me.

What is really sad is that I put my skill level basically as I stated. There were four difficulty selections and I put myself at the second from the bottom. Despite this, the AI still kicked my butt in 5 moves. It was embarrassing.

Overall Chessmaster seems like a really solid package for a chess fan but there's nothing really for the casual player. Well, there are tutorial modes and you in fact have access to help persistently when you play a regular match but I doubt that stuff would have helped me out with my game. It seems the AI was just a tad too intelligent for my skill level and that's just too bad, because none of my friends ever want to or even know how to play a fun game of chess.

Would I play again? No

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...