Wednesday, February 16, 2011

15 - Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits

Genre: RPG
Rating: T
Developer: Cattle Call
Publisher: SCEA
System: PS2
Release date: 2003

JRPGs aren't really my thing. It's not because of the stories or characters or anything like that but simply the fact that I've never been very good with strategy and magic. In lots of these types of games you have to be able to use special skills and maybe fuse items and all kinds of other stuff. This game is mostly the same.

Something that was refreshing about it though was that the battles were in a sort of Advance Wars/FFXII style. I'm sure there's lots of other JRPGs like this but I'm not very well versed in them so this is the best example to be given. Anyway, I prefer that to pure turn-based because it makes you feel like you have more control over the situation.

The story didn't seem like anything fantastic or new but still I found myself being drawn into the world. If nothing else, RPGs of any variety are generally good at sucking me in. It was cute and the battle music felt oddly out of place, but a good jam nonetheless.

I got killed by some rats in my second real fighting mission. This is how these types of games generally go for me, which is really too bad. Maybe sometime I should just set up cheat codes with the game so I can purely play for the story.

Would I play again? Maybe.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...