Wednesday, February 16, 2011

17 - Blood Omen 2

Genre: Action, horror
Rating: M
Developer: Crystal Dynamics
Publisher: Eidos
System: PS2 (Also: GC, PC, Xbox)
Release date: 2002

Here's the second vampire-centric game so far! As shameful as it may be to say I've never played any games in the Legacy of Kain series before. I have 2 but was waiting for a rainy day before busting any out. Either way, on an actual rainy day here I stuck it into my PS3 and wished I'd done so months earlier.

This is a great game! There was an issue with the brightness which couldn't be fixed in game but I'm starting to think it may be my television which is causing the issue. That was certainly a little tough to deal with because the game already takes place in dark corridors, alleys and whatnot in the dead of night. In fact, there was a point where I needed to kill a woman chained to a wall but she was completely shrouded in darkness. I had to strike wildly around with only her shrieks of terror to guide me.

Despite the brightness issue this game was solid and fantastic. I enjoyed the feeling of power that I had inhabiting this vampire and sneaking up on unsuspecting street people for a bite. I haven't had this much fun with a game based around vampires since Vampire: The Masquerade.

Again there was talk about vampires not being able to touch water so I figure that's a legitimate thing and not just the constraints of programming. I bring it up because that's how I led my avatar to death. He was supposed to jump over a pool of water to reach the other side, or so I thought. My poor avatar met his death four consecutive times. Finally I figured out what was actually supposed to happen but by then it was definitely time to play something else.

Would I play again? Yes!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...