Monday, February 14, 2011

2 - Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies

Genre: Flight simulator
Rating: E
Developer: Namco
Publisher: Namco
System: PS2
Release date: 2001

Believe it or not I've never played an Ace Combat game. I've never been especially enamored with flight sims. I'm much more of a mech kind of guy. Regardless, it seems like a very cool set of games and this was my first flight. 

It's not an easy game. I'm sure it's nothing compared to the massive setups that some hardcore flight sim players set up and use but I still didn't really know what to do. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to do a flip or turn faster to get where I needed to go. The planes controlled as well as they possibly could under my novice piloting. 

For the initial mission I spent a long time trying to figure out how to speed up. Once I finally did I still heard my teammates asking for help that I was wholly unable to provide. After my horrible piloting I was eventually able to take down enemies with guided missiles (thank goodness!) I crash landed in the mountains and received a Mission Fail screen despite the fact that my teammates were congratulating me on a job well done already. 

It was a very pretty looking game in regards to the planes and I could tell there was a lot of work put into it. Star Fox is really the only type of game in this style that I've ever had my hands on and in comparison feels like Super Smash Bros. vs Street Fighter. If I could figure out how to do those very basic maneuvers I was lacking in my initial play through then the game would probably become entirely more playable to me. 

Would I play again? Maybe. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...