Monday, April 4, 2011

A New Visual Novel by Christine Love

There's so many indie games out there these days it's really hard to know all what's coming out. The big names get coverage but a lot of great devs are known only in really tight knit communities. I don't know how popular Christine Love is, but she put together one of my personal favorite indie games of 2010 (alongside Super Meat Boy). That game was Digital: A Love Story and this is a "spiritual successor" to that.

In Digital, you were shown nothing but a computer screen from the 80s and messed around in BBSes, emails, and websites trying to find the girl you fell for online. It was a really cool, if brief experience and I suggest computer users who remember BBSes to totally check it out.

As for her newest game, I have yet to play it a I just found out about the damn thing. However, it looks to be pretty sweet as well, forgoing the retro computer vibes for the social networking of the future! It's called Don't Take It Personally, Babe, It Just Ain't Your Story. Aside from the name being a bit of a mouthful, it looks pretty good, promising: seven students, three endings, one eavesdropping teacher. A full length visual novel about the erosion of privacy, gay drama, young sexuality, and the perils of modern online life for a high school literature class.

I don't know about you but that sounds right down my alley! This reminds me that I still have not played her other recent release titled Love and Order which looked pretty cool and included a lesbian relationship option to boot! Well, I'll check this out first and maybe post a sort of longer mini review once I'm done. Oh, by the way all the games come in the three main OS formats: Windows, Mac, and Linux.

2 comments:

Bryan Ochalla said...

I'm going to have to try this one -- and Digital: A Love Story! I rarely play PC games, which is why I didn't know about either of these until now. I'll do my best to play both of them soon, though :)

Marcus said...

For sure! I go through phases where I switch between where I prefer to get gaming done.

Visual novels aren't for everyone either, but the way Christine Love writes is pretty entertaining. :) Digital in particular maybe only takes 45 minutes to play through but her latest is more like 2+ hours and various endings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...