Wednesday, April 20, 2011

51 - Namco Museum (Xbox)

Genre: Compilation
Rating: E
Developer: Mass Media
Publisher: Namco
Platform: Xbox (Also: DC, GBA, GC, PS2, PSP)
Release Date: 2002

Usually I am a big fan of compilation games. Namco Museum sounds like a really promising game but unfortunately it starts you off with a very small amount of games. Technically some of the games have "upgraded" versions but does that really matter? The newer Pac-Man Arrangement version was certainly colorful but it didn't offer too much in terms of new content. It is worth noting that it kind of felt like a crude version of Pac-Man Championship Edition DX.

It also came with Pole Position I and II, Dig Dug, Galaga, and Ms. Pac-Man. There's nothing wrong with these games in the least - Dig Dug being one of my favorites ever. However, when you make a compilation game usually the first thing to do is pack it full of games. This was the time when online gaming started to come to life on consoles in America so maybe they were hoping to do some sort of DLC thing. I don't really know, but there's not many games available at all.

What is available is great though. The games are all perfect recreations and are good times. I spent a lot of time messing with Pac-Man Arrangement, which I'd never played before. I just wish that it could have had more games up for play. I've become spoiled by other compilation games on the market.

Speaking of compilation games though, at least this one has more than the recently released Dreamcast Collection. Can you really call something a "collection" when it only has 4 games?

Would I play again? Maybe.

6 comments:

Bryan Ochalla said...

How many games are on this version, BTW?

Anyway, I'm with you when it comes to the "arranged" versions of these games. I'll take the classic versions any day!

As for the Dreamcast Collection -- I kind of want it just for Space Channel 5 Part 2 :)

Marcus said...

Well, I am not aware if there are any secret unlock games, but I hate doing that anyway haha. Not counting the arranged versions, there is Dig Dug, 4 versions of Pac-Man (including Ms.), 2 Pole Positions, and Galaga. So, about 8 titles unless I'm missing something.

Bryan Ochalla said...

Yikes! That's not many at all. I wonder why Namco was so stingy?

Bryan Ochalla said...

BTW, and sorry if this is a weird question, did you stop following my blog for any particular reason? I noticed this morning that your profile pic wasn't there as it usually is. Anyway, hopefully I didn't do something to make you not want to follow!

Marcus said...

I actually wasn't aware that I *did* stop following! Since I usually read your blog through a RSS feed anyway I wouldn't have noticed any difference.

Darn Google! :P

Bryan Ochalla said...

Oh, I thought something must be up! Sorry to ask about it -- usually I couldn't tell you who follows me or doesn't but I'm definitely aware of people like you who actually comment, etc. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...