Friday, September 16, 2011

PS Vita is Region Free!


In some of the best news I've heard today it was announced the Vita will be region free. I'm so glad this is the case because it seemed handhelds were sticking firm to region locking. When the DSi came around it was the first Nintendo handheld to employ region locks and of course they continued that with the 3DS.

It's good to see that Sony is keeping things open like this. In such a world where gamers can and will import games there's really no reason to try and lock them out. If there's not an easy way to play our imports many of us will resort to means that companies don't readily approve of, anyway! I'm still probably going to wait for the Vita to launch in America before grabbing my unit, but I'll be feeling a bit happier knowing a world of games is at my fingertips (and not just those from the US).

I'm just hoping they don't pull back this statement later. Back before the Wii came out they did say it would be region free but then went back on their word. Either that, or it was a most unfortunate mistranslation.

1 comment:

Bryan Ochalla said...

I think this is great news, too. Also, I think it's in Sony's best interests to not change its mind about this, so I think it will "stick" through release.

Of course, I think it would be in NIntendo's best interests to do so, too, but look what they've done since the DSi...

BTW, I really like those day-glo Vitas. I wonder if they'll ever release them?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...