Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Auntie Pixelante Does it Again


I'm a huge fan of indie game devs who really try for something different. Now, there's nothing at all wrong with, say, retro-looking platformers or moody sidescrolling adventures but they're not exactly my style. If someone is making an independent title I like to see something really creative and new shine through (and that's a little hard when the market is crowded with a lot of "me too!" games).

Two of my current favorite devs are women and they both seem to be ridiculously awesome (Anna Anthropy and Christine Love). Anyway, the former just put together a choose-your-own-adventure sort of thing titled Encyclopedia Fuckme and the Case of the Vanishing Entree and it's excellent. The idea for it came due to her lamenting the lack of seriously sexual stories in text adventures that seem at all true to life. Well, like, where the writer seems to understand sex and sexuality instead of making a harem fantasy, anyway. I think she achieves this very well AND creates one hell of a story in general.

I really appreciate her work and wish that more people would get to play it, but that's probably a pipe dream. Or, maybe if I wait a few hours Jim Sterling will "discover" this and write about how hilarious and weird it is. Despite being a lesbian tale, I have a feeling all sexualities will be able to get a kick out of what Anna offers with her story.

PS: It might be tough to get, but working for the "good" ending is tremendously worth it.

4 comments:

Bryan Ochalla said...

Ah, thanks for mentioning this -- I probably wouldn't have found out about it for some time if you hadn't. So, you've enjoyed what you've played of it? I'm going to give it a go tomorrow or Friday myself...

Marcus said...

It's definitely not the type of literature I normally read but it was worth it :P. You can really play the game from 5 minutes to half an hour or longer depending on whether you are on your way to a bad or good ending. It's definitely worth sticking with a few times through though to just see the 'happy ending'.

Anonymous said...

the idea for it came DUE TO ME GODDAMNIT DUE TO MEEEEEEEE

Bryan Ochalla said...

I didn't play it as promised last week, Marcus, but I'm going to play it today, since I've got a bit of free time. I'll let you know what I think of it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...