Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Dead Island is... Interesting


So, Dead Island launched today and not without a bevvy of issues. What was known before today's launch was that there was going to be a day-one patch to fix up some stuff (that I guess they couldn't just fix with their final pre-launch crunch times). However, when the game went live on Steam for download everyone quickly realized there was something much worse going on.

For whatever reason, the copy that Steam purchasers got was the development version of the game. So, it's got things like noclip enabled (lets you fly about the level whenever) as well as screen prompts still mapped to Xbox controls, whatever. This has happened before with Steam but it seems really odd it could happen to such a highly anticipated title. Either way, they're supposed to get the REAL final version out by Friday. I've heard that the "real" version simply has noclip and a few other things patched out, but that would be really depressing if so, since there are a lot more problems with the game than that.

Hearing all this I was happy to not have bought the PC version (although I may still during a crazy Steam sale). Instead I picked up the PS3 version and am working my way through it. So far, I'm really not impressed with the game. But then again I was never really a fan of Fallout 3, which this game is echoing in a more simplistic way. So maybe fans of the American "modern" RPG might be more inclined to enjoy this game. Either way, it at least looks like there was a lot of work put into it.

I'm just wanting to spend more time in the world so I can formulate a more solid opinion...

2 comments:

Bryan Ochalla said...

Wow, I hadn't heard that! I've been at least casually interested in this game for a while, just because it features zombies (smile), but it sounds like it's not worth it, at least at the moment, huh?

Marcus said...

You know, the more I play it the more I like it. There's a lot technically "wrong" about the game still but if you can get past that you start to recognize the merits of it as well.

I have yet to try it in multiplayer but I have a feeling that's where the game really shines. Just wait for it to go on sale (which it inevitably will) and then I'm sure it'll be worth owning.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...