Wednesday, August 17, 2011

60 - El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (PS3)

Genre: Action adventure
Rating: T for Teen
Developer: Ignition Entertainment
Publisher: Ignition Entertainment
Platform: PS3 (Also: 360)
Release Date: 2011

El Shaddai is a game I hoped I would really enjoy. The screenshots looked stunning and it just seemed to be a game forging its own path. As it turns out, the game certainly is different from everything else coming out these days. However, that doesn't make it good.

Basically I really don't like the game because the main "game" portion is devoted to fighting enemies. There isn't a very large variety between then and the fighting mechanics themselves are extremely dull. Apparently you can switch weapons to gain a tactical advantage over enemies but the game never tells you what works best against what. The game barely tells you ANYTHING. While I'm sure some will be pleased the game doesn't hold their hand I wasn't. I'm playing on "easy" so I expect things to be, well, easy!

Even when I think I figured out the best tactic it ends up not working at the next encounter. Either I'm continuously doing something wrong or there are slight variances between the 5 or so enemy types. The game is kinda cool in that if you mash buttons right when you die then you don't lose. However, sometimes it's hard to tell if you're "dying" or not so you don't know to start pressing them.

As for the story I couldn't even tell you what's going on beyond the very basest plot that was established at the start. Characters babble on and say important-sounding things but they mean nothing to me. It's such a shame the game is so incomprehensible and dull. If you're interested in the game though be sure to play the demo as it gives you a sample of the gameplay stylings.

Would I play again? Yes (to finish it).

2 comments:

Bryan Ochalla said...

Well, that's too bad. I don't know much about the game myself -- other than everyone seemed to be salivating over it in the lead up to its release. I can't say I was planning to get it before reading your thoughts on it, but I definitely won't be getting it now.

Marcus said...

Yeah, it's really too bad it can't be a little more fun. I mean, it looks awesome and I WANT to love it.

I've been streaming my gameplay of it because I figure I should at least try finishing the games that I spend a nice amount of money on. The more I play the less bad it feels, but maybe I'm just getting accustomed to it. If you're interested in at least seeing a little you might try popping onto my page :). http://www.twitch.tv/masteroftheclaw

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...