Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Personaaaaaaaaa

Persona 2: Innocent Sin is coming to North America!

I'm a big fan of the Persona series and my life continuously intersects with the game as time goes on. I never had a PS1 so ended up missing out entirely on the first titles. However, as the 3rd game was set to come out in Japan I found myself really enthralled by it. My interest was intense enough that I almost bought the Japanese Konamistyle Special Edition. Instead, I waited around until the game came to our shores.

I fell in love with the damn game instantly and played it to completion over a couple weeks. This is rare for me. I usually lose interest in a game only days after starting it up. Persona 4 came around and I toyed with the idea of picking up the Social Link pack. Figuring it was boring and would be produced in massive quantities. Unfortunately I was wrong and even the Teddie toy that came with it goes for a fair amount on its own these days. Not like I'd sell my stuff, but it bothers me that I always seem to screw up "predicting" what special edition items will be rare and which will be everywhere.

Anyways, back to Persona. I bought Persona 2: Eternal Punishment on eBay about a month before Atlus announced they would be reprinting the game. It was an almost exact reprint too, still including the soundtrack CD which came with the original. I no longer have that game, and the prices have since returned to about the same price it was before since the reprints have long since been snapped up. They sold out on Amazon the first day.

Innocent Sin never came out in America, which is why the game is special. Atlus has never said why exactly the game didn't come out here, although they may say something about it now. However, most people who worked on it those 12 years ago are no longer involved with Atlus at least that's what I heard. Apparently there were some gay undertones along with Satanic things... Hitler. I assume the latter is the bigger reason why the game didn't see light over here. Either that, or I'm confusing my Shin Megami Tensei games.

So, I'm really excited to get this version. Unlike the original Persona which is weirdly clunky and slow (even on PSP) both Persona 2s are pretty "modern" games. I'll pre-order it soon and hope the game comes with some nice freebie. If nothing else, Atlus knows how to treat its customers.

2 comments:

Bryan Ochalla said...

Oh, I'm excited for this one, too! I've never played a Persona game, BTW. Isn't that weird? I've always *wanted* to play Persona 3 and 4, especially, but they continue to sit on my Amazon 'Wish List,' waiting to be purchased. Maybe I'll finally get around to them later this year.

Anyway, back to this game. I think the Hitler stuff, along with some of the gay stuff, is what kept the game from being released here way back when. Apparently the Hitler stuff has been censored a bit in this version, although it sounds like the gay stuff is intact. It had better be! If not, I'll probably just play the fan translation instead...

Marcus said...

At least with all these PSP remakes you can pick up the first couple games for a relatively good price (instead of having to pay a lot for the PS1 copies!). Interestingly, I don't like P4 nearly as much as P3, but almost everyone I know feels the opposite way. Either way, they're both work the pick up :).

Well, Hitler stuff makes sense, I guess. As for the gay stuff, that had better be intact. This is 2011! :P

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...