Friday, December 16, 2011

So Long, Manuals...


I think we all knew this had to happen at one point but I wish it never did.

Starting with this console generation we have seen video game manuals dwindling into single page fold outs. Although some games still come with decent manuals, most have been getting smaller and smaller until they don't even give you simple character bios or anything other than safety information.

With the impending release of the PS Vita it has just been realized that these games will come with no manual whatsoever. Vita game cases will come simply with one sheet of paper saying that there is no physical manual and where to access the digital one. I guess it's good that manuals still exist, albeit digitally. Still, I want to have my game cases include a nice manual inside!

Some 3DS games have also been equally lacking in manual, although it doesn't seem to be the case for every release. I expect when the next console generation that every game will only include a digital manual. This is just one step closer to phasing out the physical media altogether - at least that's how it feels. As I hold strongly on the side of physical goods this probably bothers me much more than the general gaming population. It can't be helped!

Do you accept this trend of cheapening physical game media further and further? I think digital manuals are at least a little better than the more eco-friendly cases which have giant hunks of plastic cut out of them.

3 comments:

Bryan Ochalla said...

I understand why they're doing it, but that doesn't mean I'm happy with it. In fact, I think it's kind of sad -- an end of an era and all that. Oh, well, most publishers produce crappy manuals these days anyway :(

Unknown said...

Yeah, gotta agree with Bryan. It really is a darn shame – I really don't like digital manuals. Are we the only people who still look at manuals, anyway? My favorite thing to do is open up a game and flip through the manual first thing... I ALWAYS do it. I hate when there's just this pathetic slip of paper in lieu of a manual... Grr

Bryan Ochalla said...

Speaking of manuals: I just found a bunch of game boxes and manuals at my childhood home (where we're spending the holidays this year). Some of them are great! I'm going to miss them :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...