Thursday, October 27, 2011

This Post Isn't Really About Video Games


So, over the past week or so two gaming sites have written a little bit about why "gamers make good bodybuilders". Both GamePolitics and GayGamer have made note of how the site Fitocracy turns exercise into a bit of a game, and why gamers have the right mindset for this sort of thing. The two correlate because Fitocracy lets users level up after they get a certain number of points. These points are gained through doing exercises and if you keep progressing enough you even get achievements and can place on leaderboards. It's very much like a game.

Fitocracy isn't a new site, although it may have recently opened up to public registration. I've been a member since about the inception but have only started using it recently. After using it for a few months I do think that gamers may make "better" exercise types when exercise is combined with this kind of gamification. I remember watching a TED Talk where someone discussed the future gamifying all sorts of parts of our life. Personally, I would like that. As is, I have my own personal methods of turning my to-do list into a progressive game as well as some other tasks. It just seems to be the way my mind is wired to enjoy these things. 

If you like to grind in RPGs or do whatever then maybe you'll like the site too. Watching yourself level up is pretty neat as well as seeing all the work you've done so far. Seeing workout sessions laid out like stats are cool and so are the achievements and quests, although I wish there were more of them. 

Once I do my regular workout routines I still engage in exercise-related games. Now that Dance Central 2 has a fitness mode you can bet I'll spending a lot of time on it. In the past I used DDR for about the same purpose and might go back to it simply because it's easier. Does any of you enjoy the gaming/fitness overlap? 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...