Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Wow, I am Really Enjoying Corpse Party


So, this week is a pretty full one for me. I have to work on reviews for both Jurassic Park: The Game and Corpse Party. Jurassic Park is a better game than a lot of people have been giving it credit for, so definitely looking forward to type out my thoughts on that. However, I've found myself a lot more enthralled by Corpse Party.

Seriously, I can't even tell you how excellent this game is to me. It has a pixel-y retro look but despite that it manages to toy with my emotions all the same. I am left feeling a bit sad or even really scared for "my" safety while playing. I won't say anything spoiler-filled but a certain chase scene in Chapter 3 made me feel absolutely terrified although the game never overtly says to you "oh no, here's a bad thing chasing you!". I really love that a game can work its meaning into your brain without having to be so obvious about stuff.

In general it's just really a great title. Well, not perfect by any means, but I'm digging it all the same. I haven't been so obsessed with playing through a game for a while. In fact, the last game that comes to mind that kept my attention so fully was Deadly Premonition (which came out in early 2010). The game's also made me think about what other really enthralling games came out this year. I'll probably make a list later of my personal favorites, since the obvious choices like Skyrim, Battlefield 3, or other triple AAA titles aren't going to be included, I think.

3 comments:

Bryan Ochalla said...

You're the third person in the last few days to mention how much you're loving this game, Marcus! I guess this means I'll have to get it sooner rather than later -- especially since I really like its retro look and also because I'm a huge horror buff :)

Also, yes, please write up a post about your favorite games of the year. I'm prepping one, too, and like yours mine will be filled with games that people aren't expecting. In part, that's because I haven't played a lot of the games everyone is talking about, but it's also due to the fact that I just tend to like weird games, I think.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you're having so much fun with it, Marcus! I'm really enjoying chatting with you about it on Twitter :)

And yes, Bryan, you need to play the game!

Anyways, I wasn't really considering it, but maybe I'll write up a post of my personal favorite games of the year, too. Problem is I'm usually way behind the loop when it comes to playing titles, so it's hard for me to think of many games I really enjoyed recently that were actually from the past year! I already said that Corpse Party is probably my personal favorite, though (and cut a bit a flack for it)

As for Deadly Premonition, I sooo badly want to play that! I need to pick up the Japanese PS3 version sometime since they never released it in English (don't have an Xbox 360)

Marcus said...

Bryan: It's great stuff, Bryan! If nothing else, I think you'll enjoy the retro-inspired graphics and music. As for the horror stuff, while it's not as crazy as some movies get, I'm kind of taken aback by what I'm seeing/reading in the game. It goes further than what we've come to expect in games, I think.

Yay, I'm glad to see you're making up a list! I can't wait to see what kind of games make the cut - maybe I'll need to check out a few :).


Anne: I'm crazy about the game now, lol. It's too bad you apparently can't get the last ID tag thing though because then I can't have the game 100% complete!

Yeah, this year I devoted a lot of time to titles from previous years instead of 2011. Like, I loved Nier this year but it didn't come out recently... I may just write a separate list of the coolest stuff I played this year (but not from this year). If you can't really come up with a lot of awesome 2011 titles maybe this kind of list will work better?

Oh you definitely need to pick it up sometime! Deadly Premonition is definitely a love it or hate it kind of game, but if you are in the "love it" camp then it's such fun :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...