Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Backlog Beatdown: January and February



Hey folks, long time no chat! This post was prompted by recalling the backlog adventure other bloggers are undertaking this year (in particular, Chic Pixel's Anne!). I used to think that reviewing games would be the most entertaining thing in the world, but it really just cuts back on your time to play other games without constraints. Well, so does any job, but at least with a job unconnected to games you can still use them as relaxation! Either way, despite being a busy beaver with reviewing tasks I've been trying to whittle away some uncompleted games in my library. Things have been going better than expected....

In January I seriously managed to beat 11 games:

  • My Ex-Boyfriend the Space Tyrant!
  • Zombies.
  • Thirty Flights of Loving
  • McPixel
  • VVVVVV
  • Wizorb
  • Slave of God
  • Kentucky Route Zero: Act One
  • Moonbase Alpha
  • The Journey Down: Chapter One
  • The Cave
Okay, many of these were also reviewed by me but at least others like Wizorb and VVVVVV were finally taken down. As you can see, my preference in games is only continuing to trend toward all indie, all the time. It's not as if I planned it this way, but indie games tend to be shorter experiences. And honestly, most of them end up as fun as much more expensive games so why ignore them?

In February things became much busier and so I only beat Oozi: Earth Adventure, which is a pretty fluid platformer. A few days into March I manged to finish up a couple games, but those will be addressed in a later post. What games have you folks beaten in 2013 so far? Which has been your favorite or least favorite?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

First of all, thanks for the shoutout!

Secondly... ELEVEN games?! Even if they are short, that's still a major feat! I have exactly 0 cleared backlog games to my name at this point >_<

Looking at your list, I really want to try Wizorb (which I already own), My Ex-Boyfriend the Space Tyrant!, and Kentucky Route Zero. Which of the ones you played were the most memorable? Any that you struggled to finish?

February was particularly difficult due to my decision to try to tackle Ni no Kuni for a piece for VideoGameWriters (which I still haven't finished...), and my disappointment with that really had an impact on my enjoyment of other games, for some reason.

Well, onward and upward, I say! Do you have any personal goals for your backlog challenge for the year, or are you just trying to clear as many titles as possible?

Marcus said...

Of course, Anne! I love to give shoutouts to blogging buddies :).

Wizorb is a lot of simple arcade fun. I liked playing it when cooling down from more intense titles. As for My Ex-Boyfriend, that is a nice little game but I struggled with it because there were many glitches in the initial version. But I corresponded with the developer and thankfully we (and others) were able to clear up bugs together. It was the most challenging because of being physically impossible to finish at a point, haha, but otherwise far from the hardest adventure game out there.

Kentucky Route Zero is also really cool and easily has the most appealing visuals of any game out this year. Seriously, the developers have an awesome sense of style, so that stuck with me.

Ni No Kuni is a game I just can't touch.... Well, yet. Part of me worries it won't be good as hoped or that I'll tire out after some amount of hours. What is the piece you wish to do about Ni No Kuni about, if you can mention it?

Nope, I've got no goals set in stone. Although, it would be cool to beat some of the popular games from last year, or the year before. Mostly I have been so out of the loop with modern AAA games it's incredible XD.

Unknown said...

Hey Marcus! Believe it or not, I didn't forget to reply to you (okay, I almost forgot, haha)! Here's a link to my Ni no Kuni piece if you haven't seen it yet: http://videogamewriters.com/ni-no-kuni-59894

I don't think my opinion is nearly as negative as all the comments seem to think it is, but I really had some issues with it overall. I may have grown out of that style of RPG in some ways, so perhaps some elements of it that only feel like small annoyances for some were larger issues for me. Anyway, check it out if you haven't yet!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...