Thursday, November 29, 2012

I Think I'm Turning "Casual"


Video games have been my go-to hobby for as long as I can remember. Basically all my earliest memories revolve not around school or family but playing Atari 2600 and Apple IIe games. I don't remember everything about them, but little moments like being mystified by the Apple command line being used to call up games are easy to visualize even now.

I never really classified myself "hardcore" in the typical sense as that makes people think of Call of Duty or whatever FPS is in vogue at the time. However, I definitely have felt very hardcore when reflecting on my gaming habits. If nothing else, I think anyone who manages to collect some 2,000 video games and maintain them must have some serious interest in the hobby. But lately I've really started to shift toward liking games I never would have cared much about before.

During the latest Steam sale I loaded up my wishlist with items that would make me really happy to buy. Obviously it was initially too much, so my actual cart of digital goodies was whittled down until only a few were left. The main things I struggled with purchasing/putting away were the Nancy Drew, Mumbo Jumbo, and Popcap bundles. Nancy Drew games are basically adventure games but for a certain type of crowd. As such, they're fairly easy experiences overall. My interest in Mumbo Jumbo came from wanting to play simple games like Luxor but also hidden object games like the Midnight Mysteries series. All of these games are decidedly "casual".

Even when playing Persona 4 Golden for Vita I've been taking a very simplified approach. Setting the easiest difficulty available and letting most battles play out automatically, I really have little to worry about in the game aside from listening to the story unfold. In a way, it makes me nervous to see my game play style as well as interests change, but on the other hand, does it really matter? As long as I'm happy with what I play then I don't think it does. It's a bit odd that titles like Sleeping Dogs, Dishonored, and others are no longer enticing me, but I'm sure I will still get around to them. Just for now, when I need something to play it will probably be much simpler fare.

This, too, I think has complicated my personal blogging. Between writing reviews of more (serious?) games for sites, I leave myself time for easy, casual titles. But who wants to hear about my time spent playing Criminal Minds' hidden object game? Perhaps seeking out such easy gaming experiences is a reaction to the forced nature of reviewing. Either way, I'm curious... Are "casual" games something that anyone really wants to hear about? If I were asked this question a year ago I'd say no, but you'd be surprised at how good some of them can be.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting post, Marcus! I find that I'm not so keep to have a beatdown in a hardcore RPG these days as I might've 1-2 years ago... But then again I never was very "good" at games anyway and tend to give up/get bored rather easily.

On the topic of casual games: I'd love to see you blog about them! I don't think a traditional review format is necessarily the way to go, but there's definitely a space for talking about titles like the Nancy Drew games. I really like hearing about things no one else is talking about. So I say go for it!

Unknown said...

And that "keep* was supposed to be *keen*, sorry!

Marcus said...

I've never been especially good at games either... but it certainly doesn't stop me from trying them! Part of lower tolerance might even be due to being spoiled for choice these days. Between tons of Steam sales and discounted retail games you really have a wide array of choices at all times. Why spend 50+ hours struggling through dungeons when there's something else worth playing?

Yeah, I mean, I have a feeling there are other people writing about casual games but it's something most gamers aren't actually exposed to. Sometimes they're awful but sometimes they're really good too :o.

Bryan Ochalla said...

I agree with Anne, Marcus: Very interesting post!

Also, I agree with Anne in saying that you *should* write about these casual-ish games you're finding yourself more and more interested in. I certainly would read whatever you have to say about them, at the very least.

BTW, I'm like both of you in many respects: I'm also finding myself a bit less interested in 'hardcore' games than I used to be. Of course, I never was interested in FPS games and the like, but I've always been interested in pretty much every other genre.

Although I still play RPGs and strategy games (at least certain ones), I don't play as many as I used to, and the ones I do play receive less of my attention than they used to.

Marcus said...

Thanks for the support, Bryan! I certainly have a fair amount of casual games to play now thanks to Steam's Autumn Sale. Well, more than before :P.

I think it's interesting how all of us are less interested in certain types of games than before. Perhaps it is actually a trend very common for adult gamers! It just doesn't seem like most people talk about it, if so.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...