Thursday, February 16, 2012

Oh Kotaku, I Thought You Changed


Well, no, I didn't think they really changed but it seemed that there were good changes going on as of late. Some of my friends and writers I admire have now written pieces for the site (or were even hired!). It seems a lot of good things will be coming to Kotaku in the future, although I still feel antsy keying in the URL.

Anyway, they posted "A Salute to Dani Bunten, a Transgender Video Gaming Pioneer" yesterday and I just about fell over. In case you don't know, Danielle Bunten Berry is most famous for having created M.U.L.E. She was such an important force in the industry that Will Wright even dedicated The Sims to her. Oh, she was also trans.

I think that would have been a fine way to talk about her. She was certainly not quiet about her transition (how could you be when you must have yourself out there with your gaming contemporaries?). But that doesn't mean you can make a gigantic production about the trans aspect and then barely discuss the impact of her life as a DEVELOPER/PROGRAMMER. This post is on a GAMING website after all, right? Oh, but this is Kotaku. Of course they're going to focus on the most "interesting" aspect of Dani - her transness.

The original post called Dani "he" up until discussion of her transitioning. Of course, APPARENTLY only having genital reassignment surgery (GRS) makes you a real man or woman. Although Stephen Totilo defended the use of "he" for pre-transition talk of Dani and "her" for post-transition, Luke Plunkett (the writer of the article) has since changed all instances of "he" into "she". I'm assuming Luke made this choice after seeing people blow up over the use of the wrong pronoun.

Dani passed away in the 90s and gaming lost a great visionary. And in a well-meaning post the headline image is Dani pre-transition. I would be happy to have people remember me after I am gone. I would also be happy to have people know that I was trans, because that helps show the world that we exist and are great people. But if someone posted a picture of me pre-transition, that wouldn't feel like I'm being honored. That would feel like drudging up the worst times of my life. Kotaku, you need to learn a thing or two before you post this stuff.

I may post a larger response to this for the site I write for. I'm not sure yet.

Update: Aside from changing all instances of the pronoun "he" to "she", Totilo is now searching for a "terrific 640x360 pic of Dani" for the headline image. Well, that's nice but a little too late. I find it surprising that like an hour after the Twitterverse was hammering him about this story, and he basically said it was all "valid word choice" that he is now changing his tune. He defended himself in that past hour all the way and never appeared to see the light of what people were trying to impart on him. Either someone else on his team made a choice, or he is just giving in because the side riled up against him is greater than he thought. His current statement is now "We never meant disrespect w/our Dani Bunten tribute. Tried to tell a clear story."

It wouldn't have been a hugely confusing story if you had female pronouns used to begin with. The title is still "transgender" pioneer after all, so people must have come into the article expecting it. That said, I still have an issue with a whole paragraph devoted to talk about her GRS. If Dani weren't trans, would there be a paragraph to talk about the genitals of any other game developer?

I hate how if someone is defined as trans that talk suddenly always MUST shift to the genitals. Trans people are still people. We are not some completely other or alien being. It is often considered disprespectful to ask questions about these private body parts with anyone, so why wouldn't it be the same with us? Dani did speak about her GRS before, yes, that's true, but I'm not sure if she would have wanted that to be the byline of her life.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well this is just disgusting. I didn't actually click the link because I don't want to honor Kotaku with my pageviews (hah, like my pageview would make a difference anyway), but I'll take your word for it. It's just despicable, and I honestly don't think Kotaku is ever going to really change. They'll just feature a different voice every once in a while to "balance out" all the shit they put up.

Anyways, enough of me bashing on Kotaku (it's not even 8 am and I'm already pissed off! haha). I never heard of Dani Bunten before, admittedly, so I'm glad you've brought her to my attention. Neither have a heard of M.U.L.E – and that's pretty amazing that Will Wright dedicated The Sims to her! I'm going to have to go do some research of my own.

I hope this isn't out of line, but I just wanted to say that though I didn't know you were trans until just a couple of days ago, that in by no way changes my opinion of you! If anything, it makes me respect you more, as I'm sure you've had to overcome many obstacles to get where you are.

Moral of the story: eff Kotaku :P

Bryan Ochalla said...

Sigh. I think your headline nailed it, Marcus. Honestly, I haven't visited Kotaku in ages because of this kind of crap. I don't think I'll be visiting anytime soon, either. Why on earth do so many mainstream gaming sites here in the US have to be so ... shitty? Thank goodness for the niche sites and blogs, I say :)

Marcus said...

Anne: Good job by not clicking. Last year my resolution was to not visit Kotaku and I didn't! And I still got all the breaking news gaming news and with much less grossness. :P Lately they have posted more "outsider" voices, and I've been linked to them so read 'em, but people always respond the same. And then Kotaku still does the same stuff it always has done. It's just a waste really.

Definitely look more into her if you can, Anne. MULE is quite a forward-thinking game. I think there are even ways to play it on modern machines because people care about it that much.

Also, lol, you're not out of line :P. Thanks for the comments :).


Bryan: It's a shame that this is the state of "gaming journalism". Either you get misinformed things like this (or a lot worse). On the other end of the spectrum you get factually accurate writing but stuff that's devoid of any actual voice! So it seems either way you look it's hard to find a big site to fit tastes. What are some of the niche sites/blogs you visit most?

Bryan Ochalla said...

Hello again, Marcus! Yes, gaming journalism is in a rather nasty place right now. Of course, that's probably always been the case, so I guess we shouldn't be too surprised.

As for sites/blogs I visit: Well, the main sites I turn to to keep up on current games/events are andriasang.com, NeoGAF and tinycartridge.com (and sometimes GoNintendo.com).

How about you? Where do you go to keep abreast of the latest gaming news?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...