Friday, June 22, 2012

3DS XL is Coming

You know, I'm not really sure how to feel about a 3DS redesign. I think it's safe to say we all knew that there would be some, like there have been for previous Nintendo handhelds, it was just a matter of when. What interests me the most about the 3DS XL is that it's not an attempt to streamline form factor in a more compact form. As the name implies, it makes it larger.

The DSi XL never seemed like a system I would want. I definitely saw its use for people who perhaps were not as mobile with their gaming, or needed a larger screen for sight purposes, but since those don't apply to me I wasn't interested much. I still only own my own "fat" DSes, though. Either way this new 3DS doesn't appeal to me much more as the screen is fine. One thing this might help with is my hand cramps on the system but that's not worth $200 to me.

What do you think of this updated system? Is there a reason that more people should pick it up over the original 3DS?

2 comments:

Bryan Ochalla said...

Marcus: Oh, yes, we all should have known a revision/re-release of some sort was coming. Is this what I expected? Yeah, pretty much. The DSi XL/LL seems to have been really popular for Nintendo, so releasing a larger-screened 3DS seems about right.

BTW, a lot of people without sight issues LOVE the DSi XL/LL. I haven't played one myself, but I don't think the larger screens really are supposed to be for old people or people with bad eyesight.

Anyway, I think the 3DS XL/LL seems interesting, and I may pick one up eventually, but I likely won't do so anytime soon. Like you, I'm fine with my current 3DS, despite the fact that it isn't perfect.

I do like the idea of eventually having a larger system to hold onto, BTW. My hands cramp up whenever I try to play Mario Kart 7, for instance, and a slightly larger system could help with that...

Unknown said...

Well, I'm not really a fan of the colors, for one :P Out of those currently available, I'd only go for the all white version.

I don't really see a point of going bigger, but the longer battery life is nice. I also can see that the larger size might help with hand cramps, which I get pretty often with the current 3DS model.

For me, the most surprising thing about all this is why Nintendo decided to announce it now. Of course we knew a redesign was coming, but why wait to announce it AFTER E3? Wouldn't they rather put all their focus on the Wii U, and not force consumers to choose one or the other? Maybe there won't be many people who say "well I'm only going to get one Nintendo console this year," so that might not be an issue.

Obviously since the system is coming out so soon, they could have showed it at E3 if they wanted, right? I just wonder what goes into these sometime mind-boggling decisions Nintendo makes ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...